Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Waffles and Ice Cream at Pierre's on the Boardwalk

It's funny how some of the simplest memories can be the greatest. Sometime back in the mid '70s, my grandparents came down from Philly (we lived in Cardiff, near the Shore Mall) and we all went to the Wildwood Boardwalk. I couldn't have been more than seven or eight, but I remember that particular night pretty well. We had dinner at Niel's, went on the rides on Hunt's Pier as usual, and ended the night looking for ice cream. My grandmother was a big ice cream fanatic, and she insisted we get some before leaving. I don't know if there weren't many places serving real ice cream (soft serve wouldn't do) or if Pierre's was the first place we came across, but somehow we wound up inside the French-themed diner.

What a thrill it was to sit in such a fancy place on the boardwalk! Well, at least it was fancy to a seven year old. Blue and gold decor, a giant mural of what I can only imagine was Paris, and accordion music playing over the loud speakers. And lo and behold, this wonderful place didn't just have ice cream...they had waffles and ice cream, a huge family favorite for as long as I can remember.

We were expecting a slice of chocolate/vanilla/strawberry between two square waffles, the usual fare. Instead we got something splendid, something I'd never seen before: I giant round waffle on a plate with scoops of ice cream piled up high, topped off with whipped cream and a cherry. I was in my glory. I'd never had so much fun in one night in my life!

I've been to the boards dozens of times since that great night over 35 years ago, and have made it a point every time to hit Pierre's for waffles and ice cream. The last time I was there was 2005 with my wife Colleen. They still had the blue and gold decor, the mural, and of course the waffles! Sadly, that was the last time I'll ever be able to experience that great tradition. As far as I can tell, after 50 years of serving memories, Pierre's shut its doors for the last time. I should have taken pictures, but unfortunately I didn't. But at least we have the memories.

-Christopher Pinto, author of Murder Behind the Closet Door, the Wildwood Paranormal Murder Mystery.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christopher, You and I share great memories of some of the best spots Wildwood ever had to offer.
    Pierre's is special to me because I actually got a chance to work there in August 1970 because the regular wait staff were heading off to college and I was sticking around the island until mid-September. There was nothing on the boardwalk that came close to Pierre's, not even the HoJo's many blocks away.
    You might want to check out my brief blog of my special Wildwood places at http://sandandseamemories.blogspot.com. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been great working there. I will certainly check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete